Mommy and daddy have been busy getting ready for Baby Iken's arrival, which is just about 5 weeks away. The hospital recommends that new parents attend a number of classes, including a hospital orientation, cesarean class (just in case!) a breastfeeding class and a series of three childbirth courses. We started with the c-section class where we learned about the various reasons c-sections are necessary followed by a very real video of the actual surgery. I knew Chad would be a mess during the video and suggested that he leave the room but he stayed and just screamed like a girl instead. Next up was the hospital orientation where we learned how to properly install a carseat followed by a virtual tour of the maternity ward and an overview of pain relief options from an anesthesiologist (wow that is a tough word to spell!). I filled out all my admittance paperwork so the hospital is ready whenever our little guy decides it's time.
I also went to a one hour consultation at Altos Pediatrics where one of the doctors (who are all moms) talked all about the role of the pediatrician at the hospital, their policies/procedures, her thoughts on delicate issues such as circumcision and vaccines, as well as a tour of the office. I really liked the doctor and the office so was glad my pediatrician hunt was over! They don't cover Stanford Hospital so another doctor will see Baby Iken when he's in the hospital and then we take him for his first appointment three days after birth. Apparently they schedule all newborn visits during their lunch hour so new parents have ample time to ask questions and get to the appointment. Makes sense because apparently most are late since it's their first time leaving the house.
Yesterday we had a regular check-up with Dr. Powar before he leaves on vacation for ten days. He told me to "stay out of trouble" while he's gone and then come back on July 1 so he can do a Strep B culture and check for dilation. Apparently Strep B is very common and only becomes a problem during delivery when it can be passed along to the baby. If the culture comes back positive it can be easily treated with an antibiotic IV during labor.
Other than that all I have to report on our little guy is that he is a WILD animal!!! I told Chad that he must be in training to be an "Ultimate Fighter" because he never stops with the kicks and punches. I also get the feeling that he is going to be very big and strong because his kicks are so forceful - sometimes it feels like his entire foot is going to burst out of my side. A good song came on the radio today so I told Baby Iken to dance to the music but he stood completely still instead. Either he doesn't like to dance or he likes to do the complete opposite of whatever mommy says - oh geez... what have I got myself into?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Uh Oh, sounds like he's going to take after me. You sure seem to have it all under control, nice job. See you soon. Bruddah
Post a Comment