11.24.2007

First Post for Baby Iken

I finally figured out how to create my own blog for Baby Iken - a collection of stories, pictures and thoughts about our pregnancy. It all started about two weeks ago when I stopped at Walgreen's on my way home from work to pick up a home pregnancy test. I was on the phone with my mom at the time but didn't tell her about the test because I didn't want her to get her hopes up, even though it was about a week past my expected period and by boobs were killing me. When I came home Chad was sitting on the couch watching TV, so I said a quick hello and headed straight for the bathroom to perform the test. I knew I was supposed to wait for the morning pee, but I couldn't wait another day - I had to know! The test can take up to a few minutes to register but mine showed a + sign almost immediately. This was not my first home pregnancy test, but definitely the first one with a + symbol. Scared, confused and excited, I called Chad into the bathroom to inspect the results and sure enough, we agreed that we were pregnant! My first phone call went to Angela and then to my mom. After that we decided to keep it low key for a while... just in case! A few days later Angela convinced me to call the doctor and sure enough they wanted to see me right away. I was getting a little worried because I wasn't feeling any of the typical pregnancy symptoms - not tired, not nauseous, no extra pee -- I felt great. Chad and I went to see Dr. Powar on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and after a short consultation, he did an internal ultrasound and sure enough found a sac and embryo that appeared to be around "4 or 5 weeks". There was no heartbeat, which he said was typical at this early stage. Dr. Powar suggested that I go get a blood test and then another one on Monday to make sure my HCG levels were rising appropriately, and then possibly come back in a week to check for the heartbeat. Since then I have started feeling slightly nauseous and I am SOOOO excited to be sick since it typically indicates that the pregnancy is progressing normally. No vomiting (yet), just a bit yucky feeling all day long. I should know more after the second blood test on Monday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this new technology! I never thought that I would be happy to hear that you aren't feeling well!! I have to admit that I was a bit speechless when you first told me (hard to believe of me), but very very happy for you both. That is one lucky baby!!!!! I'm having fun thinking of all the names that you won't like. Good thoughts & prayers for little baby Iken!

Anonymous said...

Couldn't be more "excited" or "anxious". Best news I've had in a long time. I've always tried to not advise or critique what you do, but in this case I must: EVERYTHING IN MODERATION !! No more 10 mile walks, no more 16 hour days at the office, no more sanding and painting, and no more letting Chad off-the-hook with household chores - Period, no if's and's or but's. Love - Grandpa Charlie-O.