7.15.2008

The Final Countdown

Since my last post my itching got worse but seems to be improving now. It got scary for a while because although itching can be normal in late pregnancy, it also can be related to something called cholestasis which can be very dangerous for the baby. I went for a blood test yesterday and found out today that I do not have cholestasis - phew!!! The itching seems to get worse at night and when I get hot, which is almost always now that I am in the last part of my pregnancy.

Today was my weekly appointment with Dr. Powar and most likely my last as a pregnant woman. He confirmed that there have been some changes to my cervix and I am now 1.5 cm dilated, 75% effaced, and the baby's head is "very low" which means that I am progressing but does not necessarily tell us how soon labor will begin. He said he would be surprised if I went past this weekend, but to call him on Monday if I haven't had the baby yet so we can talk about moving things along. Dr. Powar said the baby doesn't like it when I lay flat on my back so to be sure to sleep on one side or the other during these last few days - apparently his heart rate decreases slightly when I lay on my back.

As for me I have definitely been feeling like labor is closer and closer. I've been experiencing a lot of tightness, cramps and lower back aches, not to mention that I lost my "plug" last Friday. Chad and I are still walking every night although we try to stay a bit closer to home just in case of an emergency.

Today I went to a breastfeeding support group at El Camino Hospital, which is a free class open to the public every Tuesday at noon. There were three other moms there, two with young babies and another expecting mom. I learned a lot about how to wake up a sleepy baby to feed, the various nipple creams available, that I shouldn't freak out if my milk doesn't come in by day five, and how each baby is unique in their breastfeeding abilities. They also have a terrific store where they sell all sorts of nursing gear (bras, herbs, covers, etc.) and a library where you can check out books and DVD's on breastfeeding, childcare, delivery, etc. I checked out a few things, including the 'Happiest Baby on the Block' DVD. Chad and I just finished watching it so hopefully we're pros on the 5 S's - swaddle, side or stomach, swing, suck and shush. Then we watched the 'Baby Care' video and learned all about how to change a diaper, burp, bathe, feed and take care of the umbilical cord, among other useful techniques for taking care of a newborn. Chad is freaking out about how unprepared we are, but I think we're way more prepared than most. We will be fine!

Hopefully our next post will be photos of our little guy. Wish us luck!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say your light years ahead in your preparation than cavemen were, and they seemed to do okay. Good luck. Bruddah

Anonymous said...

Corinne: You're almost finished preparing the 'physical' Chase for the world. Now, the real work, (ahhhh...I meant FUN, of course), will begin. I'm so excited for you and Chad...and Chase, too! Enjoy the delivery!! ~Connie~