9.11.2008

Loving His New Toy

Chase and I made a trip to Costco today where I couldn't pass up this Baby Einstein activity mat. I wasn't sure he was old enough to enjoy it, but figured it was worth a try. At first he was not engaged but as soon as I loaded the batteries into the light-up star that plays music he was smiling ear to ear. It kept him entertained for over 20 minutes, which is a lifetime for a 7 week old and his sleep deprived Mommy. It is also super portable so will definitely come along next time we go to Grammy's.

We officially booked Chase into Kindercare starting in November so Mommy can return to work. We spent about an hour hanging out in the infant room to make sure Chase liked it and he was very well behaved. He seemed to really like the other kids and he could hardly wait to start playing with all their fun toys. He will stay in the infant room until he is walking (around one) before he graduates to the toddler room and so on. Although leaving him will be very hard on me, I feel better knowing he will be in a safe, loving and fun environment.

I watched a segment on TV today about 'getting your kids to sleep at night' and the pediatrician said that "nighttime" for an infant should be sundown to sunrise, so 6pm to 6am(ish). She suggested that beginning at one month old, you should start getting them ready for bed at 5:30pm with a calming bath then swaddle, rock and feed before putting them down to sleep in a quiet room. We tried it tonight and it worked like a charm. Chase is asleep in his crib, which is a first because he is usually in the loud and bright family room with us until we go to bed. Chad is bummed because the evenings are his only time with Chase, but we are going to give it a try for now in hopes of getting Chase on a schedule. This will also give me and Chad some quality time together, just like pre-Chase days. Supernanny would be proud!!!

1 comment:

nicola said...

Yea! I'm so happy for you guys! Evan just started to like his activity mat too. I hope you get the much deserved break you needed.