3.25.2008

Rascal on Board

Today I had another routine visit to Dr. Powar where I did a quick pee, stepped on the scale, had a blood pressure test and then the best part - listening to Baby Iken's heartbeat. I had just eaten lunch so he was moving a lot, which Dr. Powar confirmed as soon as he put the doppler on my belly. He chuckled and said he could tell it was a boy because they are typically very active - "preparing mommy for what's ahead" as he put it. Oh geez! As Chad says, "it looks like we have a rascal on board!!!"

Other than that everything is looking good. My next appointment is for the glucose test that checks for gestational diabetes. Apparently I have to fast for 12 hours, then go to the lab and drink some super sweet icky drink, then wait an hour before they draw my blood. It is supposed to be done sometime between 24 to 28 weeks, but the sooner the better so I'll probably schedule it for next week.

I read that I should only sleep on my left side because it is good for the baby - it improves the flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta and keeps the kidneys working efficiently. Thus far I have not been very disciplined with this task but luckily Dr. Powar said it really isn't very important until week 28 when the baby gets heavier and puts more pressure on the surrounding areas. Guess I better take advantage of moving while I can, because in another month I'll be contained to one boring position all night long.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting very anxious to meet the little rascal!! Mommie's taking such good care of him that he's full of energy. Love to all, Grandma S

Anonymous said...

Hey, even little rascals can grow up to be responsible adults..... Bruddah